Health and Safety Policy
About this Policy
TIL is committed to striving towards zero harm and carrying out all our business activities in a sustainable manner by:
- providing a healthy and safe workplace for all employees, contractors and visitors to the company’s sites
- engaging with our staff frequently to ensure that health and safety remains top of mind at all times
- pursuing continuous improvement in all aspects of our business.
To achieve health and safety performance consistent with this policy, the company ensures as a minimum that it meets all its obligations and is proactive in adopting the following principles.
This Policy is approved by the Board and no part of the Policy may be amended without the Board’s approval. The Board will review and approve this Policy on an annual basis.
- Ensure health and safety is the first agenda item (after corporate governance items) on each Board agenda and to be the first item in the CEO’s monthly management report to all Directors.
- Include health and safety considerations in all our decision-making.
- Provide adequate resources, equipment and training for employees at all levels to fulfil their responsibilities in relation to health and safety work practices and activities.
- Implement systems, standards and processes, including a comprehensive risk register, to enable all activities to be carried out in a safe and healthy manner.
- Develop measurable health, safety and quality objectives and targets.
- Ensure compliance with applicable legislation and regulations.
To incorporate health and safety protocols in everything we do, we will:
- Assess the health and safety impacts of all activities.
- Engage managers and supervisors to adopt, display and actively set examples of safe and healthy work practices.
- Identify and report workplace hazards and incidents and take proactive action to mitigate potential incidents to people, property and the environment.
- Report to the Board serious workplace hazards, reportable incidents, and corrective/preventative actions taken.
- Abide by all applicable OH&S laws, regulations, codes of practice and standards.
- Monitor health and safety performance in accordance with the company’s requirements.
- Implement a risk management approach to the utilization of contractors so that potential risks to health and safety are identified, assessed and controlled allowing contractors to work safely at all times.
- Maintain emergency, fire protection and security systems and facilities to protect people, environment and property.
- Continuously improve the company’s health and safety outcomes.
- Appoint capable people who demonstrate awareness of and commitment to health and safety practices, are willing to challenge inappropriate behaviors and role-model health and safety leadership at every opportunity.
- Provide our people with training and development opportunities to ensure that every activity is carried out in accordance with the company’s health and safety requirements.
- Communicate with relevant key stakeholders in relation to the company’s activities.
- Ensure employees, contractors and visitors who work at or make use of company facilities operate in a manner that fulfils the organization’s OH&S obligations and requirements.
We will also adopt the following key essential principles in operating the company in a safe and healthy manner:
Strong and active leadership from the top:
- visible, active commitment from senior management, CEO and the Board establishing effective ‘downward’ communication systems and management structure
- integration of sound health and safety management with business decisions.
- engaging the workforce in the promotion and achievement of safe and healthy conditions
- effective ‘upward’ communication
- providing/participating in quality training and development.
Assessment and review:
- identifying and managing health and safety risks
- accessing (and following) competent advice
- monitoring, reporting and reviewing performance.
- work carried out under contract complies with all applicable legislation, company policies, standards and procedures, as well as with all other codes and regulations
- provides maximum benefit to the company’s activities and operations while ensuring the health and safety of all employees, contractors, sub contractors, visitors, customers and the environment
- there is effective communication and consultation between TIL and the contractor.
Workplace health and safety will remain our first priority in everything we do, and we will ensure that all employees, managers, supervisors, contractors and the Board are actively engaged in this ideal.